My illustration has been ripped off!

>>  7.8.10






As cute as it is, this seller has stolen my illustration! O.O;
I just logged in into my deviantart account and got a note, asking me if I'm related to this shop, which of course I am not! *boiling in anger*
The illustration (wallpaper) itself was made by me (and downloadable) on DeviantArt. (Grr, dA really disappoint me so much.)
I am going to put a very ugly mark on everything that I have put in my dA now; even the ugly one. Xd

Another reply to one of my photo is that "Honestly? is it that big of a deal? you upload it to a sight that allows people to copy your pictures."
Well, maybe she doesn't mean it -that bad-.

I know it's a never-ending problem. You can copy pictures from internet, tweak it a little bit, and claim it as yours. But that does not mean everything from the internet is free. :(

Thank you so much turnerstokens for letting me know. :)


::update::
she ONLY took of my tofu geisha. I thought it can calmed me down, but her reply was certainly not!
"All charms in my shop are indeed handmade by me. I print the images, I affix them to the glass, I glaze them, I bail them and I file them. I haven't made any claim that the art used in the charms are 100% hand-drawn or hand-painted by me or anything like that."

So I can just find any pics from the internet, print them, glue them onto the glass tile; I can sell them as handmade? O.O


::update 2::
I just got a reply from Etsy Support Team. Not so satisfying, since they said they cannot offer any legal advice. It seems that the thief can get away - if none of the (other) original artists make the claim. :(


11 comments :

Maddie August 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM  

my goodness. SUE HER. ==

i hate copycats. grr. hmmph. anyway, if you uploaded the wallpaper with one of the copyright options selected, then it's not free for her to rip off at all! you can take the legal action. =)

it IS a big of a deal. particularly because it is your intellectual property and not HERS.

asukasakumo August 7, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Thank ou Maddie :)

I really hope that etsy will notice this problem real quick.

I am honestly still in shock that anyone would steal it like this! I mean yeah, probably when I am an established artist someday Xd
But big probably that the seller thought since I am not -that famous-, he/she can get away with it. =.=;

otterine August 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM  

That commenter asking if it's a big deal is wrong. In fact, the person did steal the image and sell it. I hope you report the item to etsy as being produced without your permission.

The Old Maid August 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM  

I am so sorry for you! Copying doesn't mean selling or using as soneone's own -I don't know why people can't underestand it! I too copy some pictures and photos on my laptop but I would never ever thought of using it as it was mine!Not to mention selling someone else's work as mine! Well, the only good thing is that this bad bad seller has got no talent at all as she/he is using your cool picture instead of one's own ideas!:)

asukasakumo August 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

I just got a very short reply from the seller:
"I'm sorry, which illustration is yours?"

I didn't know my jaw could drop any lower than now. Is she thinking that she can take it off from the shop, then all will be resolved? The problem is, I believe that she also stole from many others!

Alice August 8, 2010 at 12:21 AM  

Woah... okay, I understand that people copying is pretty much inevitable if you post stuff on DeviantArt (trust me, I know.. had to learn the hard way) but stealing your design and making profit from it like in that resin charm is going a bit far. You should at least get some credit/profit for the work because they are basically selling YOUR design... tell the etsy seller to buy the rights to your work if they want to use it! Geez.

asukasakumo August 8, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

She just did took off ONLY mine. (I have saved a snapshot before ;) )

And this is another one that she reply:
"The item has been removed from my shop.

I think you're misreading my "handmade" statement. All charms in my shop are indeed handmade by me. I print the images, I affix them to the glass, I glaze them, I bail them and I file them. I haven't made any claim that the art used in the charms are 100% hand-drawn or hand-painted by me or anything like that. I simply say that the "charms" are handmade, which is quite obvious, as I don't believe there is anyone out there ignorant enough to believe I've painted the Mona Lisa. But to appease your curiosity, out of the 189 items in my shop, roughly half of them are infact MY art. Either they're my illustrations, photographs or digital designs & collages. The rest are found images or depictions that are quite popular THROUGHOUT Etsy sellers."

So if I "steal" any pics from the internet, print them, glue them onto the tiles; I can sell it as "handmade"?

asukasakumo August 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

Alice, did you experience the same thing? :(
Really, dA is so disappointing. I think many people see dA like a free stock of photos and illustrations.

Anonymous ,  August 8, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

I would be like well

1. you did'nt ask me if you could use it
2. your making profit of something I took a while to draw.

3. you didn't give me credit.
4. IT IS FOR A COMPUTER WALLPAPER! not your small boring store.

5. I know a word and it is spelled like this: S-U-E and soon you'll find out what it means too!

I would be furious and I mean who ever this person is they seem REALLY RUDE!

Pei the Blargh August 10, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

>_< Ugh, that really stinks. And it's really too bad etsy can't do anything about it either...

Sans! August 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM  

No more offering your free art darling! :(:(:(:(

I really love that illustration too and that's saying a lot since I don't do so much cute.

I am glad that she has taken that item off her Etsy. You should still report her and hopefully, there is a black mark against her name.

Post a Comment

   Stephanie Koesuma (a.k.a. Asuka Sakumo) © 2007-2018
   Please do not distribute any contents, photos, and illustrations without my written permission.

Back to TOP